Maryland Federal Securities Fraud Lawyer
A decade ago the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) had its sights on large corporations and financial moguls. As the economy in the United States and across the world changes, the SEC and federal law enforcement has increased investigation and prosecution of securities crimes. At KaiserDillon PLLC we continue to track updates in the laws relating to federal securities crimes in Maryland and around the country so that we can provide our clients with the representation needed to limit the personal and financial impact an SEC investigation – or worse, federal criminal prosecution – has on their lives.
What are Securities Crimes?
Securities crimes are primarily investigated and prosecuted by the SEC with the assistance of other government entities including the FBI and Fair Trade Commission. SEC investigations can result in administrative action and penalties along with criminal prosecution. At KaiserDillon PLLC we have experience handling a number of federal securities crimes in Maryland including:
* Creation of Dummy Corporations: Dummy corporations are created to induce investors to purchase stock in the corporation under the impression that they are purchasing stock in a more well-known or more desirable corporation.
* Accountant Fraud: Involves allegations of inaccurate accountings of profitability to the public with the hopes that investors will act in one way or another.
* Internet Fraud: Allegations of internet fraud with respect to Maryland securities crimes often involves allegations of providing false information to the public to create an artificial increase in the price of stock in a particular company so that the “investors” may sell their stock shares to the buyers for a profit that does not accurately reflect the value of the stock.
* Insider Trading: While trading by a corporate insider is not always illegal, it is illegal for a corporate insider to use certain private information to make a stock purchase or sale for personal gain.
* Ponzi Schemes: Ponzi schemes involve the elaborate creation of fake investments. They often involve unusually high rates of return which are funded by subsequent investors rather than an actual return on the funds invested.
Potential Consequences of Maryland Securities Fraud
An investigation alleging Maryland securities fraud should be taken very seriously. If the investigation becomes a charge and you are convicted of securities fraud you could face a number of very devastating punishments. Individuals convicted of securities fraud may face forfeiture of personal and business assets, fines and time in prison.
At KaiserDillon PLLC we understand the evidence the SEC collects during their investigation and how to handle a federal securities fraud investigation in Maryland or around the country. If the investigation becomes a charge we will provide you with the representation you deserve. Your personal freedom may be at stake and as a result we take Maryland securities fraud cases very seriously.
We understand the uncertainty you are facing and will work with you to ensure that you understand the SEC investigation process and the charges associated with their investigation. We provide no obligation consultations for all of our prospective Maryland securities fraud clients, please call us at (202) 640-2850. We are here to help.